Soundindex/Digital Amplifier

Top / Soundindex / Digital Amplifier


Digital Amplifier


Compact, Lightweight & low power consumption

Digitlized sound signal is insusceptible to electrical noise pickup and deterioration and able to be easily processed, and has many other prospective features.
Advanced digital sound processing technology easily handles sounds in various ways to replicate high fidelity achieved by the conventional analog circuitry.
Digital amplifier will become mainstream of audio reproduction in place of analog one.

Amplification by digital circuit

The role of the amplifier is to amplify the audio signal sent from the playback unit to a level enough to drive the speaker. The digitalized amplification technique significantly differs from the analog one. Conventional analog amplifier straightly amplifies the input signal as it is. In contrast, the digital amplifier first converts the input signal to the digital signal consisting of a sequence of digital pulses representing signal waveform, then amplifies the pulses and converts them to the equivalent analog signal to be fed to the speaker.

Signals in amplifier

Advantages of digital amplification

Digital amplifier has many advantages when compared with those of analog amplifier. Amplification efficiency of analog amplifier is max. 50–60% and the remaining power (50–40%) generates heat. The amplification efficiency of digital amplifier is high, 80–90%, and power consumption is very low. Practical efficiency of digital amplifier is 70% and that of analog amplifier is 20-30%, and power consumption can be further reduced. On the low heat dissipation digital amplifier, less heat radiation device and space are required when compared with analog one which are large in dimensions and heavy. The digital amplifier finds many applications in audio components, handheld players, and the like.

Merits of Digital Amplifier
Why
In the digital amplifier, the amplification circuit measures the voltage of input audio signal several hundred thousand times per second and turns on and off the internal switch at the rate proportional to the measured value. That is, pushes the switch for a shorter time when the volume is low and for a longer time when the volume is great, converting the sound to equivalent digital pulse signals. While analog amplifier consumes large amount of power even if the sound amplitude is low or zero, the digital amplifier effectively cuts power consumption while processing various kinds of sounds.